Dr Jagmeet Madan, an eminent nutritionist, is the Principal and Professor – Department of Food Nutrition and Dietetics at Sir Vithaldas Thackersey College of Home Science (Autonomous), SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai.
She has wide experience in research. Her area of research interests have included:
- Childhood obesity
- Body composition of school going children and adolescents and its relationship with diet and lifestyle factors
- Visceral fats and academic performance
- Probiotics and Prebiotics
- Resistant starch Content of Indian Diets
- Child Feeding practices
- Type 1 , Prediabetes and Type 2 diabetes in adolescents and young adults
- Food Labelling and its influence on Consumer behavior
- Protein Nutriture of Indian Population
She has been awarded the 2017 PNPG Research Grant by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation to develop and evaluate the Nutrition Transition-FFQ among adolescents in Maharashtra, India.
She is a gold medalist and recipient of ‘Young Scientist Award’ and ‘Dr Ramanathan Award’ by the Nutrition Society of India, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad and fellowship by Indian Council of Medical (ICMR) and Indian Council Agricultural Research (ICAR) India for her Masters and Doctoral research.
- National Vice President -Indian Dietetic Association
- India Representative -Asian Federation of Dietetic Association (AFDA)
- Member International Council of Dietetic Association (ICDA)
Executive Council Member All India Association of Advancing Research in Obesity(AAIRO)
- Executive Council Member Nutrition Society of India(NSI)
- National Registered Dietitian Board Member (RD Board)
- National Executive Council member All India Association of Advancing Research In obesity (AAIRO).
- She is a part of the Expert groups working on Asian and Indian Consensus statements and guidelines on Obesity, Diabetes, Cardiovascular disease and Physical activity at National level.
- She is a core member of National regulatory bodies like FSSAI and Skill Development Initiatives of Maharashtra state.
She is a recipient of two International Grants in June 2017. The details are appended below:
- Research Grant Approval by ABC and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for the research project entitled “Effect of Almond Consumption on blood glucose Regulation and Cardio Metabolic Risk Factors in Adolescents and Young adults (16-25 Years) with Pre diabetes.This project is a collaborative endeavour of Sir Vithaldas Thackersey College of Home Science (Autonomous) SNDTWU, Juhu, Mumbai and Medical Research Center of Kasturba Research Health Society, Vile Parle (west) Mumbai.Dr Madan is the Principal Investigator of the Project, and the Co Principal Investigators are Dr Rama Vaidya Director, Division of Endocrine and Metabolic Research,Medical Research Center of Kasturba Research Health Society, Vile Parle (west) Mumbai and Dr. Shobha Udipi Director, Integrative Nutrition and Ayurceuticals Medical Research Center of Kasturba Research Health Society, Vile Parle (west) Mumbai.
- The PNPG Research Grant 2017 from American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for the Validation of Food Frequency Questionnaire on the Nutrition transition of Indian adolescents of Mumbai, Maharashtra. This is a collaborative endeavor of the Dr Nida Shaikh Professor Emory University, Atlanta USA as a Principal Investigator and Dr Madan as a Co Investigator.
She was a Principal Investigator for Project ‘MARG’ (The Path), a school health initiative for 10,000 school going children of private and government schools of Mumbai city. This project was under the auspices of Diabetes Foundation of India and World Diabetes Foundation. (2008- 2010 ). She presented the findings in a paper entitled ‘Dual Burden of Malnutrition In Mumbai City – Need for intervention’ at the 28th scientific meet of International American Society of Obesity (IASO) on 8-12th of October, 2010 in San Diego, California.
She also presented her research paper at the International Congress of Dietetic Association (ICDA) at Sydney in September 2012 in the area of Body Fat percentage in School going children and its relationship to dietary pattern and lifestyle factors in Mumbai city in Granada – International Conference of Nutrition (ICN 2013) and Asia Oceania Conference on Obesity (AOCO 2015) in Japan where her paper got the Best paper presentation Award. She was the invited faculty in ICDA 2016, Granada.
She is a Certified Master Trainer for Diabetic Educator Project Hope by International Diabetes Federation. She with her team has developed a nutrition Software ‘Nutrisoft’ based on Indian data base. She has more than 50 publications to her credit in International and National Journals, edited books and other publications.
Dr Madan is a regular columnist in The Times Of India – Times Wellness & a health and fitness magazine ‘Well Being’— an ARAMUC Scientific Communications Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai, Mumbai Mirror, Mid Day and DNA.